Obituary of Harry Glenn Bliss

Son of Lucinda Hildreth and Horatio Simeon Bliss

November 9, 1867 --- March 30, 1925



Each Was Highly Respected And Had Been A Life-Long Clinton Co. Resident

Two St. Johns men, H. Glenn Bliss, formerly of Riley township and William C. Watkins, who spent the greater part of his life in Duplain Township, have passed away during the last few days.  Each left a wide circle of friends in this city and in the communities from which they came.

Harry Glenn Bliss was born in Riley Township, November 9, 1867.  He was direct descendant of two of the oldest pioneers that settled in Riley.  His grandparents came here in the early 40ís [1840ís] and he grew to manhood on the farm that his father cleared up.

He attended country school winters and helped at home summers until he was old enough to take the active management of his fatherís 200 acres farm which he did at a very tender age.  In September 1908 he was married to Emma Bleis.  To this union two boys were born, Maynard, age 13 and Lynn, age 11, all of whom survived him.  Later he bought and shipped stock and also had a share in the firm of Bliss & Dane, doing a hardware business in Fowler many years ago.  In 1920 he moved to St. Johns, Michigan to give his two boys advantages of an education that were denied him in his younger days.  His family was his delight.  He longed to live and see his boys grow up and become useful men in the world and for them he fought the fight of his life.

For many years he suffered with the dread disease sugar diabetes.  Often he felt sure that he had it conquered, but always after a while would find the trouble was still lingering with him but with each fresh attack he would gain increased determination to win out.  This of itself was enough to try the patience of any ordinary man, but added to this suffering he was stricken with paralysis in July 1921.  A fresh determination had to be summoned.  He worked hard to overcome this new phase of his infirmities and with the inspiration of his family he gained ground so that after about a yearís time he could walk again without the aid of a cane.  Added to all this came the final blow.  A few weeks ago gangrene set in.  He went to St. Lawrence hospital for treatment, still hopeful of remaining with his family a while longer, but after all medical aid had failed he died Monday, March 30, 1925, aged 57 years, 5 months, 21 days.

He was a member of Wacousta lodge F. & A. M. and St. Johns Commandery K. T.   The only public office that he ever held was highway commissioner of Riley Township.

Funeral services were held from his home at 2:30 oíclock Wednesday afternoon, Rev. Howard A. Blanning officiating.  A great many of his friends and relatives attended.  Internment was made in the mausoleum at Mt. Rest Cemetery where the Knights Templar conducted burial rites.